Monday, November 21, 2005

Damn that Starbucks!

I wake up early and roll over to watch the alarm clock tick away the seconds. It is 45 minutes before the alarm goes off. I should get up. I could get up. But Mr. Kitty was snuggled up in the crook of my arm purring softly. I did not have the heart to wake him. (he needs his snuggle time.) The alarm goes off and he jumps a few feet in the air and runs away. (I love that part of the morning.)

Glorious morning, it was. Birds were chirping. You could see your breath. Ah, winter-ish time, although not as cold as I would like it, still was a great morning... Until that Damned Starbucks.

I leave the house, smiling and even hummed a merry little tune fro Erasure "The Innocents" album. I pull my little speck of a car into a parking space and bounce into Starbucks. "Venti Mocha" I say to the hottie behind the cash register. Flashing a grin, I watch him look at my name on my debit card. He is memorizing it. He hands me my card back and our fingers touch. I wink. He grins. I walk away to wait for my coffee. I try not to notice that he glances at me and tries to catch my eye. My coffee is called and when I pick it up, I glance back at him and wink one more time. I know he sees me as I turn and walk out the door.

All is right with the world ... I get to work, plop my coffee on my desk, reach for my computer bag and then it happens: PLOP, KAPLUT (with a fwishing sound). I see my mocha ooze over my desk. My once clean desk. It is being absorbed by the fabric walls of cube-ville and heading towards electrical outlets and computer thingys that make me want to scream. I can find only one napkin. I let out a call for help from my local cubicans and a stream of napkins arrive. Too late to save the post it pads, the notebook, the voicemail journal, and an assortment of other important notes. My first hour of work was cleaning my desk. That stuff got everywhere. I move a pen, it is icky sticky. I find little stain points all over the place. I am going to be cleaning for days.

I think that Starbucks hottie put a hex on me.

4 Comments:

At November 21, 2005 4:50 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

It could have soooo been worse,

On your second wink, you could have lost the depth perception, tripped on the tile and nose planted on to the floor with your venti mocha in between the floor and your face.

Thank your lucky stars that it was your cube, and the barista will never have to know....

 
At November 21, 2005 5:16 PM, Blogger CSCFON said...

So you never said - how was the coffee?

 
At November 22, 2005 7:51 AM, Blogger Homer said...

I think your cup had an orgasm...

 
At November 22, 2005 5:47 PM, Blogger Jack said...

He just wanted to get you all hot & stickie...

and since you left, the spill was the only way left to him to get you that way...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home