Thursday, October 27, 2005

Mawkish!

Family, Family, Family! Boo Yah!

I love my family. We all gathered last night in Wilson, North Carolina at my brother’s house. I got there a little late, but was greeted by 4 bouncing nieces and nephews. After a draining day of work and a three hour drive, it was a welcome relief to see them. At this point it is the 30 minutes of hugs, kisses, handshakes, little ones pouncing on me for attention, more hugs, re-hugging, laughing, smiling and general well wishes.

We had an awesome dinner filled with interesting conversations. Catching up with my brothers and sisters-in-laws was the goal of the evening and boy, did we do a lot of catching up. We celebrated my Mom’s birthday and sang for her. We sat around the table, around the living room, in the kitchen, on the porch, back in the house, you name it we stood and talked. Listening to each of them, I figured that we all are story tellers in our own way. Each one of us has a different style in which we weave our tales. It was evident that we all came prepared with our best stories and reenactment of events for the entertainment for the evening. When my brothers talk, I see the pictures of their words in my head and follow the story. They have told me in the past it is the same with them. We are a lot alike, but also a lot different.

A few hours into the evening, I volunteered to go quiet the young ones down. Quickly opening their bedroom door, I said, in a loud, rumbling voice, “What’s going on in here?” and tried to look stern. They all froze. When I picked up the pillow that they had dropped and bopped the nearest one, they knew they were in for it. All of them ganged up on me, beating me with pillows, jumping up and down on me and making general mayhem. My Dad had to open the door to tell us to quiet down. It gave me that “5 year old - I did something wrong” feeling. So I stood up next to Dad and said, “Yeah, quiet down in here or I will have to come back.” With a wink and a grin I followed Dad back to the adult section.

Like always, I was the last one to leave. At 11:30, I get on the road. A 3 hour drive ahead of me and two Mountain Dews beside me, I head back home smiling at the time we got to spend together. I really miss my family, being so far away is not conducive to a happy Scott.

And before everyone rushes out to dictionary.com here it is:

Mawkish \MOCK-ish\, adjective:
1. Sickly or excessively sentimental.
2. Insipid in taste; nauseous; disgusting.

2 Comments:

At October 28, 2005 3:31 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Well, then make them move to Dallas.

Yes, that would be the logical situation.

I read on Marks blog that you cannot finish your audit in time for Haloween and I want you to know that that sucks- I will have a few drinks for you on Cedar Spring, what would you like for me to consume for you?

 
At October 29, 2005 8:49 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Since I will be frequenting Cedar Springs this year for Haloween, It is gonna have to be a strong and hard drink only, it is the best I can do ;)

Totally up for coffee when you return from the number crunch...

Hope you are having a giddy ole time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home