Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Coretta Scott King

I was saddened to hear that we lost a friend last night in our fight for equality. She succumbed to the only thing that would defeat her: Time and Age. There was nothing in this mortal realm that she would back down from when it came to injustice. She is an icon in her own right for the fight against injustice and inequality throughout the USA and the world.

Let her words remain with us as we continue to fight:

"I believe all Americans who believe in freedom, tolerance and human rights have a responsibility to oppose bigotry and prejudice based on sexual orientation."
— Coretta Scott King

"Struggle is a never-ending process. Freedom is never really won; you earn it and win it in every generation."
— Coretta Scott King

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people."
— Coretta Scott King

"The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members ... a heart of grace and a soul generated by love."
— Coretta Scott King

"For many years now, I have been an outspoken supporter of civil and human rights for gay and lesbian people. ... I've always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy."
— Coretta Scott King

"Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated."
— Coretta Scott King

1 Comments:

At January 31, 2006 7:25 PM, Blogger DEREK said...

yeah we were all praying for her, my family lives in Atlanta, my uncle marched with Martin Luther King. She was a great woman!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home